CHAPTER 6 - Summary and Suggestions


CHAPTER 6
 Summary and Suggestions

6.1 Purposes of Practicum
The SEA Teacher Project or the Pre-Service Student Teacher Exchange in Southeast Asia is a project that aims to provide opportunity for pre-service student teachers from universities in Southeast Asia to have teaching experiences (practicum) in schools in other countries in Southeast Asia.
The purposes of the SEA - Teacher Project are to :
·         enable the student teachers to develop their teaching skills and pedagogy.
·         encorage the student teachers to pratice their English skills.
·         allow the student teachers to gain a broader regional and world view.
·         expose future teachers to diverse teaching and learning situations and opportunities, and the value of flexibility

6.2 Procedures of Practicum
The practicum period is one month. Responsibilities and roles of students assigned every week for one month consist of orientation and observation in the first week, teaching assistants in the second week, teaching practice in the third week, evaluation and reflection in the last week. The host university will provide mentors from universities as well as from designated schools to monitor student teachers during the practicum period in Thailand. The school where practicum provides collaboration teaching to guide pre-service teachers in a practicum at school.

6.3 Outcomes of Practicum
The results of the practicum program that I got and learned were:
·         Can integrate knowledge, attitudes, and skills professionally in educational institutions both in their countries and abroad.
·         I have experience in making learning plans using 5E.
·         I learned a lot from them, how to respect teachers and parents from Thai culture.
·         Get ​​to know the social culture and work culture in other state institutions. Get to know and learn about traditional culture in other countries.
·         Able to improve my English skills in daily life and improve my English conversation.

·         “What is taught with the heart will also reach the heart”

6.4 The Challenges of Practicum
The challenge that I get is the limitations of using Thai. The second challenge is the number of students in the class, which amounts to around 40 students in one class. But the challenge was aided by my intern from Thailand, he was very good at helping me understand the characteristics of students in Thailand.

6.5 Overall Impression
I had been grateful to be one of the delegates of SEA-Teacher batch 8, from this program I learned so much new knowledge, experience and open my mind about teaching practice abroad. Learning about diversity an unity between another country. Especially this program improve my teaching experience according to my major General Science.

6.6 Suggestion for Future Improvement
      I hope for the next generation, the Philippines can participate again and there are no obstacles. Also, an increasing number of ASEAN countries participated and not only three countries (Indonesia, the Philippines, and Thailand) joined the SEA-Teacher Project program.

My Friends from Indonesia
My friends from Vietnam